2020 was a heck of a yr for YouTube, as individuals turned to movies to switch in-person occasions and actions. The YouTube stats right here present how persons are utilizing this social video platform proper now, and what entrepreneurs have to know to achieve them successfully.
Bonus: Download the free 30-day plan to grow your YouTube following fast, a daily workbook of challenges that will help you kickstart your Youtube channel growth and track your success. Get real results after one month.
YouTube user statistics
1. YouTube has more than 2 billion logged-in monthly users
That’s not fairly as massive an viewers as Fb’s 2.74 billion month-to-month energetic customers.
However remember the fact that it’s attainable to look at YouTube content material with out ever creating an account, so the “logged-in month-to-month customers” quantity seemingly underreports the precise variety of individuals watching YouTube content material every month.
2. 74% of adults in the U.S. use YouTube
That’s greater than Fb (which reaches 68% of American adults). And it’s virtually twice as a lot as the subsequent runner-up, Instagram (40%).
Based on Pew Analysis, YouTube is the preferred on-line platform in America.
eMarketer predicts the variety of U.S. YouTube watchers will improve to 228.1 million by 2024, up from 214.9 million in 2020.
3. 77% of 15–35 year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube
YouTube is hottest with customers 35 and underneath, however solely barely. 73% of People aged 36 to 45 use YouTube, together with 70% of these aged 46 to 55 and 67% of these 56 and older.
It is a very totally different sample from different social platforms, the place use drops off sharply within the older age teams.
4. 80% of U.S. parents of children 11 and under say their children watch YouTube
And 53% of these dad and mom say their little one watches movies on YouTube not less than as soon as a day. That is additionally in stark distinction to the opposite social networks, most which require a minimal age of 13.
These final two YouTube consumer statistics mixed present that YouTube has deep attain throughout all ages class in the USA.
Supply: Pew Research Centre
OTT stands for “Over-the-top” and it refers to streaming companies watched on a TV. Virtually all People who watch streaming movies on their TVs are watching YouTube.
YouTube is the most-used digital video platform in the USA. Netflix is available in second at 74.9%. In March, YouTube watch time on TVs increased 80% year-over-year.
You’ve already seen how pervasive YouTube is in the USA. However have in mind solely a fraction of YouTube’s visitors truly comes from the USA.
Based on Alexa’s estimates, whereas the USA is the only largest supply of holiday makers for YouTube, it nonetheless represents solely 16.4% of visitors.
The subsequent runners up? 9.2% of YouTube viewers are in India, and 4.8% are in Japan.
7. 56% of YouTube users are male
And 44% are feminine. (Knowledge is simply accessible for female and male customers.)
YouTube’s consumer primarily based skews male, however there are nonetheless loads of girls creating and consuming content material on the platform.
YouTube utilization statistics
8. YouTube is the world’s second-most visited website
Proper after its mother or father firm, Google.
9. It’s additionally the world’s second-most used social platform
On this case, it is available in proper behind Fb.
10. Folks watch more than a billion hours of video on YouTube daily
A billion hours. Daily. That’s an unimaginable quantity of content material being consumed, all all over the world.
How does that quantity get so excessive? The subsequent couple of YouTube utilization statistics present some perception.
11. Viewers aged 18 and over spend 41.9 minutes on YouTube daily, on common
This consists of utilization throughout all gadgets: cell, desktop or laptop computer, and linked TV. That’s a median of 4.9 hours per week or almost 255 hours per yr.
12. 40.9% of YouTube watchtime occurs on cell
This quantity has been shrinking not too long ago as individuals spend extra time watching YouTube on their TVs, nevertheless it’s nonetheless a good portion of viewing time.
It’s essential to think about as a result of it means YouTube statistics exhibiting how a lot time individuals spend searching YouTube.com considerably underreport the period of time customers truly spend on the platform. (Since cell views are extra seemingly to make use of the YouTube app.)
In This fall 2019, 49.0% of YouTube viewing was cell and 27.0% was on TVs. By Q3 2020, this had shifted to 40.9% cell and 34.4% on TV.
13. The typical visitor to YouTube checks out 8.89 pages per day
Persons are not simply swooping into YouTube to take a look at one video after which ducking out. They’re sticking round to take a look at almost 9 pages, rising each their complete viewing time and the variety of content material sources they devour.
14. There have been 4x more views of videos related to Black Lives Matter within the first 10 days of June 2020 than in all of 2019
The methods individuals use YouTube shifted quick in 2020, and that is one indication of main change. Throughout this similar interval in early June, views of movies on “tips on how to be an ally” elevated 23% from all of Might. And 48% of individuals now say they depend on on-line movies to “present them new views on cultural points.”
Views for protest songs like “Battle the Police” by Public Enemy and “That is America” by Infantile Gambino additionally spiked in June.
YouTube for enterprise statistics
The subsequent a number of YouTube enterprise statistics take a look at what individuals have been watching on YouTube in 2020. That is essential info for companies seeking to plan impactful natural content material, or excited about themes for paid YouTube campaigns.
15. View of movies with variations of “newbie” within the title increased more than 50% between March and July 2020
Globally, these movies received more than 9 billion views in 2020.
66% of individuals in Germany used YouTube to develop a new hobby in 2020, and a whopping 94% of individuals in India used YouTube to study to do issues themselves. Globally, 82% used YouTube to study to do issues themselves. What have been they studying to do, precisely?
- Views of beauty tutorials increased nearly 50% in 2020.
- There was a 90% improve in bike upkeep and restore movies.
- Every day views of movies with “elevating chickens” within the title increased 160%.
- Movies associated to studying guitar noticed 160 million views from mid-March to mid-April.
- Movies about container gardening noticed 6 million views in the identical interval.
- There was a 215% improve in day by day uploads of movies associated to self-care.
- There was a 458% improve in day by day views of movies about making sourdough bread (responsible!) and a 200% improve in day by day views of recipe movies for bubble tea.
- Movies of how-to movies for house haircuts additionally spiked in April (responsible once more).
16. Folks watched 100 billion hours of gaming on YouTube in 2020
There are actually greater than 40 million energetic gaming channels on YouTube. Greater than 80,000 of these channels have a minimal of 100,000 subscribers.
Minecraft was the most-watched sport, with 201 billion views, adopted by Roblox at 75 billion views and Garena Free Fireplace at 72 billion views.
17. 72% of people used YouTube to exercise or maintain slot in 2020
There was a 515% increase in videos with “home workout” in the title in March alone. And other people regarded to develop some fairly particular health expertise:
- There was a 195% improve in day by day movies on tips on how to do a handstand
- Dance exercise movies noticed 180 million views from mid-March to mid-Might
18. Every day views of movies with “home office” in the title increased 210% in March 2020
And day by day uploads of movies with “at house” within the title elevated 700% in the identical interval. Movies with a mix of “quarantine” and “routine” within the title noticed 10.5 million views in March.
19. Every day YouTube livestreams increased 45% within the first six months of 2020
This isn’t shocking in a yr when reside occasions have been for essentially the most half cancelled.
53% of livestream viewers say watching livestreams helps them really feel linked to one thing bigger than themselves. And 56% of individuals say watching livestreams might be pretty much as good as being at an occasion in individual.
20. 50.9% of B2B decision makers use YouTube to analysis purchases
That makes it the most-used social platform for this function, outranking even Fb (48.5%) and LinkedIn (33%.)
If you happen to’re advertising to different companies, you possibly can attain high choice makers on YouTube.
YouTube advert statistics
21. 70% of viewers bought from a brand after seeing it on YouTube
This statistic comes from YouTube mother or father firm Google primarily based on a examine of two,000 customers aged 18 to 64 carried out with Talkshoppe in February 2020.
22. YouTube adverts focused by intent have 100% higher lift in purchase intent than these focused by demographics
Additionally they have a 32% increased raise in advert recall. Combining demographics and intent solely barely will increase advert efficiency above concentrating on by intent alone.
Supply: Think with Google
Folks watching YouTube ads focused by intent additionally skip adverts much less and watch adverts for longer than individuals watching adverts focused by demographics.
23. The highest YouTube ad in the U.S. in 2020 was Nike’s By no means Too Far Down | You Can’t Cease Us
The adverts leaderboard is predicated on “an algorithm that elements in natural and paid views, watch time and viewers retention.”
24. Within the U.S. alone, YouTube will make 5.56 billion dollars in advertising revenue in 2021
That’s a billion and a half greater than YouTube comprised of adverts in 2020. Extra persons are shopping for extra adverts in additional codecs.
For instance, the variety of advertisers utilizing YouTube’s TrueView for Action increased 260% in 2020
25. The variety of channels that earn $10,000 USD per year or extra on YouTube grew by 50%, yr over yr
And in the identical interval, the variety of channels incomes $100,000 USD per yr or extra grew by 40%.
In fact, this sort of revenue isn’t simply from advert income, it’d embody a number of types of YouTube monetization. Regardless, it’s powerful to say if that is excellent news for all content material creators on YouTube, or simply the actually profitable ones.
(Be aware that YouTube says this progress occurred yr over yr, however doesn’t point out which years.)
Develop your YouTube viewers sooner with Hootsuite. From one dashboard, you possibly can handle and schedule YouTube movies alongside content material from all of your different social channels. Strive it free at present.
Develop your YouTube channel quick with Hootsuite. Simply average feedback, schedule video, and publish to Fb, Instagram, and Twitter.